Thursday, November 9, 2017

New Review! The Butterfly Code (Girl on Fire, #1) by Sue Whyshynski, 3.5 Cranky Stars

The Butterfly Code (Girl on Fire, #1)The Butterfly Code by Sue Wyshynski
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

**** 3.5 Cranky Stars ****



I had mixed emotions reading this book. For me it started off on a bad note, very slow and I honestly almost gave up on it. But halfway through, it picked up and boy, did it keep going!



The lead girl, Aeris Thorne, came home for a break from her music in a sleepy town where his father lived. Initially, I wasn’t really sure how old she was and thought she must have been a teenager from the way she behaved. She struck me as one of those stereotypical heroines in books who melt into a puddle every time the male lead looks her way. Insta-love kinda thing. She also has a male best friend who she referred to as “only a friend” and “like a brother” every single time his name was mentioned in the page like I can’t be told enough that’s how she really felt. He on the other hand wished they were something more (of course!)



Then you get scenes where a human couldn’t possibly do such actions like identify the colour of somebody’s eyes in explicit details as they look at them from across the road at night…yet somehow Aeris could do that! And that’s before she became a genetically modified human. As well as certain situations where she would compare somebody to robots or cyborgs, when looking back into her past she had no previous experience with them so why would she even think about them when making comparisons? She’s a musician so a typical non-medical or non-scientist would probably say “hard as a rock” or something? I don’t know, maybe it’s just me.



Anyway, Aeris fell hard for this guy named Hunter. Again, the age-thing gave me a pause. He’s supposedly a doctor in charge of a research facility. In the book he’s late twenties. In normal life, late 20’s would be a doctor just climbing up the ladder to be a consultant that’s after choosing to specialize in a certain area in medicine. So maybe Hunter was a gifted child or something. Who also happen to be uber hot that’s why Aeris melts each time they meet.



Then all of Aeris loved ones warn her about him but doesn’t exactly tell her why. Then this and that happened making me yawn then BHAM! The pace suddenly picked up and the story suddenly took me into a roller-coaster ride.



Suddenly Aeris became more interesting and more mature, almost like she did a 360 degrees turnabout in character. Even Hunter seemed older and wiser. The title was explained quite well and certain questionable situations raised at the beginning of the story started making sense.



The butterfly and jellyfish concept were quite ingenious and kept me hooked up until the last page of the book. So glad I didn’t give up on it. Unfortunately, I can’t award it with more stars because of the hiccup of a start. Now diving in to book 2!


View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home