Friday, May 5, 2017

New Review! Cry Wolf by Greta Stone, 3 Cranky Stars

Cry Wolf (Underwood District, #1)Cry Wolf by Greta Stone
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



*** 3 Cranky Stars ***

Peter is a kitsune and an agent of chaos. Left in charge of a group of supernaturals, he's confronted by an outside threat hunting a runaway. Constructing a cover story, Peter imitates the howl of a friend he hasn't seen in a long, long time.



What results is a reunion and chaos.



Luca is a werewolf and running from slavery. When he hears someone mimic his howl, he's stranded with someone from his past. He doesn't remember him. Luca doesn't even remember his own name.



Yet, they have to work together in order to survive and then there's the other thing that neither of them know what to do with.



Let me say I really enjoy Greta Stone's writing style. It's lyrical and evocative. Based on old fables, this is a retelling in a unique way and I really liked the premise.



The reason this story didn't get a higher rating is because:

1) It was crowded in the beginning. I thought the large cast of characters overshadowed some of the tension in the story.



2) I enjoyed the action scenes, but when we get to the middle of the book, all that tension disappears. I understand there were character and plot reveals, but I don't think what was at stake for both characters was clearly identified. If it had been, I think that would've given me something to hang onto and then the rest of the plot threads and storylines would've hung onto it.



In saying that, I really liked Peter and Luca. Their combative relationship giving way to trust and deeper insight was touching.



I will be following on with this series because I want to know what happens to Peter and Luca.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home