Sunday, October 23, 2016

New Review! The Masterminds by Olivia Wildenstein, 4.5 Cranky Stars

The MastermindsThe Masterminds by Olivia Wildenstein
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



**** 4.5 Cranky Stars ****

When I first started this book, I thought it was going to be a hard sell. We already know what happens in Masterpiecers. I worried it would be the same story, but from a different angle. This was not the case. The author does a wonderful job of giving different perspectives without repetition.



Told from the dual perspectives of Josh and Brook: one hero and one villain. Issues of family bonds and friendship, and at times, rivalry are portrayed in this work.



Joshua is the childhood friend of Ivy and Aster Redd, the twins at the heart of this story and central to the mystery of a crime. He was also the lover of Aster Redd until her illness came between them. Aster is key to solving the mystery to clear the Redd Twin’s names.



Loyal and protective, Josh tries to balance his job, his friendship with the twins, and his new love life. He goes above and beyond, but this causes untold conflict in both his professional and personal life.



Brook: The son of a prominent family who are now in decline he has found himself in a difficult situation that begins to unravel. Secrets, not to mention, an intense sibling rivalry with his brother, hang like a noose around his neck. Matters are complicated when his feelings for someone grow and the bonds of friendship begin to fray with possibly deadly results.



The ending of this story shook me. I read it twice and felt a piece of my dead, cold heart break off.



I highly recommend both The Masterminds and Masterpiecers. Both are good, but I’d say The Masterminds is better. Taut, quirky, funny in places and heartbreaking in others – pick this series up and give it a go. You won’t be disappointed.


View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home